I just started using beryl 2.1.1 which is great. When I last had it on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (Ubuntu 7.04 latest one at the time of writing) I could not see the themes!!!! Now using Fedora 7 I have been able to get the themes and all the desktop effects! its so Awsome!
Here is what you need to get Beryl:
(1) a computer with a supported graphics card (My recommendation for a Graphics Cards are Nvidia… though AMDs’ ATI has said that they would put out better Drivers for their Linux 3D Acceleration, Intel Graphics also could work)
(2) Linux Operating system ( I do not know if Beryl will work in BSD)
(3) KDE or Gnome ( I am not sure that Beryl will work in any other Window Managers (Correct me if i am wrong via comments)
(4) a Command Line Client (Terminal) For advanced Users (as i do not recommend New users trying this out as it could break your machine) or a Package manager (Synaptic in Gnome or Adept (please correct me if i am wrong via comments) in KDE)
(5) The will power to Follow instructions (Something i sometimes lack)
Here is how to get BERYL http://beryl-project.org/ then go to the wiki page to look up your distro if its supported, plus there maybe a place that says which graphic cards are supported.
Password is LRBEY i know that you will get it!